Sommer B. Clement handles civil disputes and lawsuits involving businesses, construction professionals, property owners, consultants, insurance companies, and sureties. Sommer drafts and negotiates contracts for construction, design, consulting, and real estate transactions. She also advises companies on risk management related to construction, real estate development, design, and purchase/sale of buildings and land.
Sommer began practicing law in the field of land use in 2001, and has been a litigator since 2003. Sommer’s litigation matters have involved construction defect claims, insurance defense, product liability, and construction projects ranging from single-family homes to condominium towers. She has handled matters through mediation, jury trials, and appeals. She is driven to help her clients successfully resolve their disputes with strategies based on experience. Her clients value her guidance through each step of the litigation, and appreciate her attention to the important details.
Sommer was a partner at two prior Seattle law firms. She joined Carney Badley Spellman in 2016, where she became a shareholder in 2020. Before earning her law degree, she worked at a Seattle mechanical and electrical engineering firm.
Sommer was born and raised in the Seattle area. She enjoys outdoor photography, bicycling, road trips, and spending time in Central Washington.
Honors and Recognitions
Sommer was recognized as a Rising Star by Washington Law and Politics from 2002-2007 and in 2010. She has received an “AV” Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell. This rating is given to attorneys who demonstrate the highest ethical standards and professional ability. She served as Chair of the Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Construction Section from 2013 to 2014.
- JD, University of Washington Law School, 2001
- BS, magna cum laude, University of Oregon, 1998
- Washington State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Oregon State Courts
Sommer is a frequent speaker on topics related to risk management for developers, contractors, and design professionals. Recent speaking engagements include:
- Co-chair of “Preparing for Construction Defects in the Future,” The Seminar Group, Seattle, Washington, December 2018
- “The Current Status of Construction Defect Litigation,” The Seminar Group 25th Annual Washington Construction Law Conference, Seattle, Washington, September 2018
- “Project Update,” 2nd Annual Construction Project Challenges in Seattle Seminar, The Seminar Group, Seattle, Washington, December 2017
- “Risk Management for Condominium Development and Sale in Washington,” November 2017
- “Construction Defect Litigation, Today and Tomorrow,” The Seminar Group 24th Annual Washington Construction Law Conference, Seattle, Washington, September 2017
- “Construction Project Update,” Construction Project Challenges in Seattle Seminar, The Seminar Group, Seattle, Washington, December 2016
- “Forecasting the New World of Residential Construction Defect Litigation,” The Seminar Group 23rd Annual Washington Construction Law Conference, Seattle, Washington, September 2016
- “Wrap Policies: Unwrapping the Expectations and Realities,” West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Seminar, Anaheim, California, May 2016
- “Toolbox for Handling Emerging Construction Issues,” Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Annual Construction Law Update, Seattle, Washington, May 2016
- “AIA Contract Provisions That Can Keep You Out of Hot Water,” Society for Design Administration, Seattle Chapter, Seattle, Washington, March 2016
- “Yellow Brass Claims in Washington,” Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Annual Construction Law Update, Seattle, Washington, February 2013
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Oregon State Bar Association