Mr. Butler counsels individuals, families, and businesses on income tax; estate and gift tax; state tax; transfer, wealth, and succession planning; and business structures. In addition to Mr. Butler being an estate planning attorney, he also handles probate and trust matters, and works with charitable trusts and tax exempt organizations.
Honors and Recognitions
Mr. Butler holds an LL.M. in taxation and a certified public accounting certificate. He has been named by Washington Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top attorneys in Washington State for each of the years 2003-2021. He has been listed in Best Lawyers in America for each of the years 2001-2021, for the specialty of Trusts and Estates.
Mr. Butler has been listed in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine and Seattle Business Magazine as one of King County’s “Top Lawyers” 2010 – 2018. They cull their listings from Martindale-Hubbell, Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America.
In addition, Mr. Butler has the following honors and recognitions:
- Certified Public Accounting Certificate (Washington)
- Member, Beta Alpha Psi (National Accounting Fraternity)
- Chagrin Law Award (highest law school GPA), Santa Clara Law, 1979
- Emery Law Scholarship, Santa Clara Law, 1977-1979
- Chapter Beta Gamma Sigma (National Business Honor Fraternity), Seattle University, President, 1975-1976
- Leadership and Scholarship Award, Albers School of Business, Seattle University, 1975-1976
- President’s List (second highest GPA in business school); Seattle University
Bar and Court Admissions
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Washington State Bar Association
- Estate & Gift Tax Committee, Taxation Law Section, Washington State Bar Association, member and former chair
- Real Property, Probate & Trust Section, Washington State Bar Association, Former Executive Committee member, former editor of section’s newsletter