Ashley assists clients in three main areas: commercial contracts, trademarks and copyrights, and privacy.
If you need help with a vendor contract, or are in need of a contract for your end users or customers, Ashley can help you create the right agreement for you. Examples of the types of contracts Ashley drafts include:
- Master Services Agreements;
- Terms of Service;
- SaaS and Software Agreements (EULAs);
- Product Development Agreements;
- License Agreements;
- Consulting Agreements; and
- Supplier Agreements.
Trademarks and Copyrights
Ashley can also assist you with any questions you have relating to brand development, trademark registration, and the content your business creates. In general, these items fall into the categories of intellectual property law – trademarks (branding) and copyrights (content). If you’ve selected a brand name and want to know if you can legally use it, Ashley can help you make that determination. She can also help you register and enforce your trademarks and copyrighted content.
Privacy law is another area in which Ashley assists clients. You may have heard that US privacy laws are changing rapidly. If you’re not sure how these changes apply to you, you can contact Ashley to help you evaluate your data collection practices. Ashley can also help you create or update your privacy policies to make sure they’re compliant with relevant law.
Prior to joining Carney Badley Spellman, Ashley worked in prominent intellectual property practices throughout the country. She has taught the subjects of trademark law, unfair competition law, and copyright law at Boston area law schools. She was an adjunct faculty member at New England School of Law, and has served as guest lecturer at New England School of Law and Suffolk Law School.
Ashley regularly speaks at seminars and workshops for entrepreneurs. Professional endeavors aside, Ashley’s extracurricular activities include hiking, learning French, and painting (poorly) with watercolors. You can connect with Ashley on LinkedIn.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Washington, 2011
- Massachusetts, 2005
- One of Washington’s Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine 2020
- One of Washington’s Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Women’s Edition 2020
Seminars and Speaking Engagements
- “Trademark 101: How to Identify, Apply For, and Protect Your Client’s Trademarks,” NALS Annual Conference, April 2018
- “Legal Issues for Artists,” Fremont Abbey Arts Center, Fremont, WA, 15 November 2016
- “The Changing Legal Landscape of Digital Content,” WVLA, Seattle, WA, 24 February 2016
- “Pitching Presence, Seattle Angel Conference Educational Series,” Seattle, WA, 20 January 2015
- “From Trinkets to Body Parts: 3D Printing — Transforming Sci-Fi Fantasy Into Reality,” MITEF Innovation Forum, Seattle, WA, 15 January 2014
- “10 Things You Need to Know to Keep You Out of Legal Trouble,” IDEA World Fitness BlogFest, Los Angeles, CA, 13 August 2014
- “Crowdfunding and IP,” 3rd Annual Crowdfunding for Equity Seminar in Washington State, Seattle, WA, 5 December 2014