Government Affairs &
Government Affairs and Legislative Relations
The Government Affairs Practice Group represents businesses and professional and business trade associations before the state legislature and state agencies. As the largest and oldest government affairs practice in the state, our attorneys began lobbying for the American Insurance Association in 1974, and the firm continues to represent the association to this day. We are proud of the many long-standing relationships we have maintained with our clients over the years.
Our lobbyists have extensive experience in several industries, including construction, engineering and architectural services, taxation, insurance and financial institutions, health care, telecommunications and technology, transportation, environmental regulation, government procurement and liability and tort reform. News articles in The Olympian, the Seattle Weekly, and the Spokesman-Review have described our lobbying practice as “top-tier” and “high-powered,” and have recognized Carney Badley Spellman as the state’s “mega-lobbying firm”.
Our clients receive first-class representation, advice and access to key decision makers on a variety of public policy issues. In addition to guiding each client through the legislative and regulatory process, we are able to provide a range of other services as part of the management and development of a successful government affairs program. These services include public disclosure consulting, political action committee management, media relations, managing ballot measure campaigns and legal research and advice.
We are well-connected and networked with business groups and other lobbyists in Olympia, allowing further opportunities for positive outcomes. By maintaining strong relationships with the state’s leading business organizations, including the Association of Washington Business and the National Federation of Independent Business, our clients are better able to stay connected with allied organizations and up to speed on the broader business issues.
Carney Badley Spellman is the Washington member of the State Capital Group. The Group was co-founded in 1988 by former Washington governor and Carney Badley Spellman attorney, John Spellman. Its unique network of capital-based attorneys, former government officials, state government practitioners and international attorneys is strategically positioned to serve the most diverse needs in today’s global economy. Member firms practice independently and are not in a relationship for the joint practice of law. Cliff Webster is a former chairman of the Group’s board.
Clients of the Government Affairs Practice Group:
- 7-Eleven, Inc.
- ADP TotalSource
- Allstate Insurance Company
- Am-Fi American Fidelity Corporation
- America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP)
- American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI)
- American Family Insurance Company (AmFam)
- American Fraternal Alliance
- American Waterways Operators (AWO)
- Architects & Engineers Legislative Council (AELC)
- Associated Builders & Contractors / Inland Pacific Chapter (ABC/IP)
- Associated Builders & Contractors / Western Washington Chapter (ABC/WW)
- Association of Dental Support Organizations (ADSO)
- Chevron Corporation
- Consumer Data Industry Association (CDIA)
- Liability Reform Coalition (LRC)
- Medical Evaluation Specialists (MES Solutions)
- National Association of Insurance & Financial Advisors (NAIFA)
- Northwest Marine Trade Association (NMTA)
- Pacific Propane Gas Association (PPGA)
- Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of America (PhRMA)
- Professional Insurance Agents (PIA)
- Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI)
- Spokane International Airports
- Washington Academy of Eye Physicians & Surgeons (WAEPS)
- Washington Association of Health Underwriters (WAHU)
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (WDTL)