Steven J. Hopp, of counsel, devotes his practice to corporate, partnership and business matters with an emphasis on federal tax issues. Mr. Hopp serves as primary outside general counsel to a variety of clients, focusing on closely-held middle-market companies and emerging businesses. As a corporate, business and tax lawyer, he is actively involved in the following areas:
- Creation, restructuring and reorganization of corporate, limited liability companies, and partnership enterprises
- Intellectual property protection and licensing for a wide variety of products
- Commercial agreements and contracts for general business transactions
- Transactional work, including financing, mergers and acquisitions of businesses
- Counseling corporations regarding executive compensation and succession planning
- On-going governance and management of corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships
Honors and Recognitions
Mr. Hopp has been named by Washington Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top attorneys in the state since 2003. Mr. Hopp has also been selected by his peers for multiple years as one of the Best Lawyers in America in the specialty of Tax Law.
Mr. Hopp was also recognized by Seattle Metropolitan Magazine as one of King County's "Top Lawyers 2010." Seattle Metropolitan Magazine culled their list using the Martindale-Hubbell® ratings. Mr. Hopp has been awarded an "AV" Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell. This rating is given to attorneys that demonstrate the highest ethical standards and professional ability.
- LLM, Taxation, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1976
- JD, Lewis & Clark Law School, 1975
- BS, Construction Management, University of Washington, 1972
Mr. Hopp was a member of the Editorial Board of the Environmental Law Review at Lewis & Clark Law School. In addition, he is a CPA and practiced with a "Big 6" accounting firm prior to entering the practice of law.
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
Mr. Hopp is a contributing author in the Washington State Bar Association's State and Local Tax Deskbook, and the Partnership Deskbook (Supplement).
- Co-chair of the Transactional Tax Committee of the Taxation Law Section of the Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Subchapter S Subcommittee of the American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Visitors of Lewis and Clark College of Law
- Member, Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
Mr. Hopp has been a speaker at numerous seminar presentations on business law and tax topics, including tax considerations in the purchase and sale of a business, tax considerations in the choice of entity and tax issues related to the creation and operation of subchapter S corporations.