Shawn K. (Mercalde) Harju, a principal with the firm's Construction and Litigation Departments, concentrates her practice in the areas of civil litigation, collections and creditors rights, commercial litigation and construction litigation. Ms. Harju also represents real property owners and managers in landlord-tenant disputes.
Ms. Harju works with construction clients to prepare contracts to protect their rights and limit or deter future litigation, prepares and defends bid protests, and has been relied upon for her experience in briefing and locating cases that assist Carney's clients during the urgent litigation process often seen by contractors involved in construction projects.
Ms. Harju's work in the construction department leads into her collection practice, where she advises construction and business clients of the options available to them when collecting monies owed by debtors. Carney clients often rely on her for advice regarding collection of monies owed from the debtor. If necessary, she will draft and revise contract terms to ensure a client's ability to collect payment from a debtor at a later date. She advises clients to ensure they are in the best position to collect monies owed to them at all stages of the creditor-debtor relationship, from formation of the initial relationship and the governing contract terms to execution of any resulting judgments. Her success is the result of her skills, experience and tenacity. She is an integral part of the firm's ability to provide effective, efficient legal assistance in collecting monies owed.
Honors and Recognitions
Ms. Harju has been listed in Washington Rising Star magazine as one of the top up-and-coming attorneys in Washington state for each of the years 2006, 2007 and 2010.
- JD, Seattle University School of Law, 1999
- BA in Politics, Philosophy & Economics, cum laude, University of Pittsburgh, 1992
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of Washington, 2000
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, 2001
- Tips for Ensuring Payment in a Difficult Economy
- Government Takes a Shine to Alternative Bids
- Statute of Repose for Construction Defects
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Construction Law Section, Washington State Bar Association
- Creditor-Debtor Law Section, Washington State Bar Association
- Court Rules and Procedures Committee (2005), Washington State Bar Association
- Women Business Owners, President (2012)
- Women Business Owners, President Elect (2011)
- Women Business Owners, Board Member, Chair, Education and Mentorship Committee (2010)
- Commercial Real Estate Women Seattle & Sound (CREW)
- American Subcontractors Association of Washington
- The National List of Attorneys