Committed to exceptional client service and professional excellence, the lawyers of Carney Badley Spellman strive to provide the best possible legal counsel to our clients. The diverse backgrounds of our attorneys provide our clients with a team of experienced legal counselors, skilled at developing effective and efficient solutions for a wide variety of legal issues in a multitude of industries and settings. With a focus on the Pacific Northwest, we serve individuals and businesses of all types and sizes from closely-held companies to Fortune 500 corporations.
Peers and industry press recognize Carney Badley Spellman lawyers as among the "Best Lawyers in America," "Super Lawyers" and "Top Attorneys" in a variety of lists and publications. Carney Badley Spellman is also recognized as one of "Puget Sound's Best Places to Work."
We welcome the opportunity to share more with you about our firm and encourage you to find out what our long-standing clients have to say about Carney Badley Spellman.
Our law firm is noted for being one of the best in Seattle for employees and clients. Our employees come from diverse backgrounds and educations. We value a culture of respect, exceptional work ethic and strong commitment to delivering quality legal services to our clients. We understand our employees are our greatest assets and essential to achieving the goals of our firm. Effective client service is dependent upon all of our employees, not just a few. We are committed to hiring quality candidates, those who follow through with promptness, are pro-active thinkers, excellent communicators, committed to technology and can work well within a team atmosphere.
The firm currently has no employment positions open.
Carney Badley Spellman, a downtown Seattle law firm is currently seeking applicants for a full-time litigation paralegal with a minimum of 10 years experience in e-discovery and civil and commercial litigation practice areas. The paralegal will work for multiple attorneys in insurance defense, commercial litigation, construction law and class actions. Responsibilities include:
- computer litigation support including, all aspects of e-discovery (determine which software meets case needs, prepare RFPs to outside vendors, develop case-specific databases, work with outside vendors, conduct auto searches, maintain information retrieval systems)
- creating, maintaining and updating databases with witness information and document productions
- reviewing, organizing and indexing documents produced, maintaining privilege logs
- preparing declarations, notices, and discovery requests
- serving deposition notices and subpoenas
- reviewing and assembling documents to be used at depositions
- reviewing briefs and organizing appropriate exhibits
- filing motions in multiple states (state and federal courts)
- preparing for and attending arbitration and trials
Candidate should have outstanding verbal and written communication skills, strong attention to details, excellent organizational skills and good understanding of working with softwares such as Summation, Concordance and Trial Director.
Please forward cover letter with a paragraph outlining your experience with e-discovery and trial experience along with your resume to email@example.com.
Carney Badley Spellman offers a full range of benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, profit sharing and transportation subsidy.
Manage development, operation and maintenance of all information systems. Duties include planning and budgeting; and oversight of I.T. staff. Responsible for providing effective and reliable computer services to all users. Report to Chief Operating Officer.
Carney runs an IP network with HP switches connecting Windows Servers (2008 Std R2, 2003 Std & R2) and workstations in a Windows 2008 Active Directory environment. We have Exchange 2010 for email and MS SQL 2008 for accounting support. We support 85 workstations running Windows 7 (x64) and Office 2010 (x32). We support a VPN using Cisco ASA 5510 for remote access and firewalling. Email scanning, archiving, and filtering is provided by Mimecast.
In conjunction with I.T. department staff (Applications Specialist and Help Desk Coordinator); the I.T. Manager will:
- Plan, install, maintain and update all information systems
- Troubleshoot problems on a timely basis
- Work with COO and other firm members in system planning and evaluation
- Design and install new hardware/software to meet defined requirements
- Train and support attorneys and staff as "customers" of the department
- Evaluate new hardware and software solutions
- Prepare and manage annual operating and capital budgets
- Manage and develop department personnel consistent with firm goals
- Manage outside I.T. consultants effectively and efficiently
- Establish and maintain written policies & procedures
- Network with legal I.T. community to stay abreast of industry trends
Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree in computer science, business administration or related field
- Formal training in broad range of relevant operating systems and applications
- 5 years working in network administration
- Ideal candidate will have experience in a professional services firm environment
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of all aspects of information technology, including: computer networks, applications and telecommunications
- Knowledge of principles and practices of management, supervision and organization
- Knowledge of state of the art developments in information technology
- Ability to plan, organize and direct the work of technical staff
- Ability to effectively communicate (oral & written) technical information to all customers
Competitive salary (dependent upon experience). Bonus based upon performance and varying work requirements. Medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance benefits. Profit sharing retirement plan. Position is exempt.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carney Badley Spellman, P.S. seeks an M&A-Corporate and/or Tax attorney to join its Business Practice Group in Seattle, WA.
Responding M&A-Corporate attorney candidates should have a minimum of six years experience advising clients in complex corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, reorganizations, debt and equity financings and other complex corporate transactions.
Responding Tax attorney candidates should have a minimum of six years of experience in state and federal tax law identifying complex tax issues, advising clients of beneficial tax structures, tax planning, conducting tax due diligence for M&A deals structuring qualified and non-qualified deferred compensation arrangements.
Please email your cover letter and resume to Deborah Dillard, email@example.com.
The law firm of Carney Badley Spellman, P.S. seeks candidates for their downtown Seattle and Olympia offices for its Government Affairs practice group. The Legislative Assistant provides administrative support to two lobbyists in our Seattle office and during the legislative session, our Olympia office. This position is full-time and eligible for benefits and partial living expenses during the legislative session.
- Manage Public Disclosure Commission (PDC) reporting obligations, including lobbying registrations (L1), monthly expense reports (L2) and annual lobbyist employer reports (L3); act as liaison with PDC for issues and inquiries as they arise
- Work with accounting department on monthly expense reports, check requests, new client file requests and other inquiries; input hourly time entry for hourly clients; maintain client files and assistant in monthly invoicing
- Handle travel and meeting arrangements as needed, including legislative meetings, political fundraisers, client and coalition meetings, and conference registrations
- Assistant government affairs practice group communication and coordination with other legal and administrative staff in the Seattle office; assist in continuing legal education (CLE) reporting
- Manage client contact lists, directories, email distribution lists
- Manage Olympia office operations during the legislative session, including office supplies and technology issues, and act as liaison to Olympia office landlord; handle Olympia apartment rentals and other special arrangements during session
- Manage historical information on political campaigns and client PAC activities; execute PAC PDC reporting for clients when necessary
- Provide Issue research and public disclosure research
- Prepare talking point handouts and legislative alerts during the legislative session; assist clients in grassroots messaging
- Notify clients of relevant hearings and bills of interest; maintain bill status reports and notices of hearing of interest
- Monitor meetings and public hearings of interest as necessary
- Assist in advocacy for the firm's clients by: providing public testimony before legislative and regulatory bodies; attending face-to-face meetings with legislators and candidates; developing close working relationships with coalitions, other lobbyists, and trade associations; developing close working relationships with legislative committee and caucus staff
The Legislative Assistant position requires excellent, professional oral and written communication skills and the ability to work in a high-stress environment with deadlines. Preferred candidates will have at least 2 years of senior administrative assistance experience and a working knowledge of the legislative process. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products is necessary.
Salary range: $45-55k.
Please forward your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Capital Group
Carney Badley Spellman is the Washington state member firm of the State Capital Group, an association of more than 140 independent law firms. The Group's members are located in all 50 U.S. state capitals and in business markets and financial centers around the world, including North America, Europe, South and Central America, the Caribbean, Asia and the Pacific Rim, and Africa and the Middle East.
Member firm attorneys based in U. S. state capitals offer a unique knowledge of state legislatures and regulatory agencies. Those based outside the United States offer similar perspectives and abilities in their jurisdictions.
The Group allows Carney quick access to lawyers across the world with legal and business expertise. Carney attorneys actively participate in continuing legal education and networking opportunities with other Group members and, through these activities, gain additional resources and relationships that benefit Carney attorneys and clients alike.
Member firms of the State Capital Group practice independently and not in a relationship for the joint practice of law.